Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Epilogue and Acknowledgements

After 4 weeks of travel there is allot that I experienced and shared.

There are a number of people I want to thank so bear with me, as the list is really long….

I want to start with thanking Murray and Kathleen who were the single factor in me traveling to these parts of the world after all the trip was for their wedding and that was the primary reason for the travel.
Mr & Mrs Mackay best wishes for a bright, blissful union and may your days be as happy as that day in Loch Lomond.

I would like to thank my buddy Mitch who encouraged the idea and slowly pushed me into taking the initiative in booking the whole trip…Thanks Mitch I hope you are enjoying Sth America.

My brother in law Chris for driving me to the airport and looking after my bike (aka Emma MK II).

Frank Moran for assisting me in the Dublin accommodation and that was the first step in a chain reaction…

Dublin:
The city of Irish folk dancing and Guinness (not to mention Jamison in the jar)
To Joe and Patrice my Irish friends with amazing voices…you guys should think about a duets album you have talent…thank you both for two nights of drinking and restoring my faith that there are still Irish folks in Dublin somewhere ☺

Edinburgh:

Alasdair McLeish for meeting me and reviving everything I know and love about Scotland, the bars, waking down George Street and revisiting where I once lived and love to one day again to be there.

Loch Lomond

To John and Andrea in the BnB that was better than any 5 start Hotel I stayed at and going the extra mile…if ever I go down that path I am sure to emulate everything I experienced in your lovely home. To The Noble clan and the Mackay clan thank you for a great day and a beautiful ceremony…It instils hope of happiness forever after…Best wishes for your new family and stay in touch in Sydney town.

London

Jon McBride and Jamie Kong, hey Aussie expats should keep the networks going especially abroad, you never know when you might just need another contact. Paul Vincent, I am yet to hear that excuse about you not showing up…so whenever you are ready, I’d like to hear it. Hey it was busy time in London but just don’t over promise brother…stay focused and maybe we will meet somewhere else when the time is right.

Spain

Its no accident that I spent the most amount of time in Spain… it was the country with the profound lessons that I needed to learn…

Spain’s experience to me is summarised in a single word…”FAMILY”
Thank you Angela for the invite to Majorca that was the epitome of understanding what family really is. Thank you, Inmus and Eva for sharing your home and your table and I will forever be in your debt for introducing me to your family of friends…Barbara and Sarah as well should get a mention…it has been a long time since I have been in a large circle of friends of diverse cultures and backgrounds and seeing so many happy people. To you and your friends whenever you wish to visit Australia me casa is sou casa…(well I hope I wrote that right)

The second family I met were Trey, Claire, Sherry, Janice, Mandy and Martin where another friendship formed in a quick meet and I am privileged to have met you guys and I extend the same invite to you guys as well should you ever wish to visit Sydney Town I would be happy and more than Happy to play host. Mandy, thankyou for reminding me that taking a snap is more than a click of a button and something to shelf…its worth sharing and remembering that instant.
The dinner at Granada in front of the cathedral was a special moment, the stop over in that little town on the way to Seville and the discussions at lunch and so was that afternoon at the bar in Macarena… those will be forever etched in my memories.

Janice and Mandy especially for opening to me the world of Hostel stays… Yes, Donna would be proud ;-) Martin, you are cool dude…and perfect in what you do follow your dreams and don’t let anyone judge what you do, when, why or how…because, only you can be right all the time even when you are wrong…its your life and your lesson…Just Do it and come and visit Aus…you will like it here ☺

Portugal

Although I was only there for less than 24 hours, three people have taught me various lessons…Best of all that even as a bald man Lisbon is a city to let your hair down and it’s a crazy party time. Definitely, will do this again.

Blake my man from old Sydney and the man with all the news about Lisbon and where to go and what to do…cheers mate, seriously you fly the Aussie flag so high…thank you for all your tips and advises and I wish I actually stayed there longer but maybe another time and another place we will meet again.

Serena, I hope you took that train ride and bought that jacket it looked good and don’t worry you have the rest of your life to work so you have an education and clearly a bright mind so enjoy it and just believe that the right job at the right time will find you without having to look for it. And Yeah I am envious that after you shaved your head off it grew back :P

Finally, Dana ummm…I blame you for me starting smoking again (even though I started smoking the night before I met you) By the way, you can drink but not as much as me…trust me…would be happy to test that theory as I didn’t drink that much that night…shall we say DC after the marathon? Or will it be NYC?
And get a Facebook account will ya…

Italy

The land of he roman empire…where I discovered a lack in my sense of direction…Jaoa, Pedro, Paula and Alex…thanks guys technically you are the last friends I made on this trip and enjoy your travels…Alex, if you are ever in Sydney give me a shout and I will do the same when I am in Melbourne next. We can have another beer and possibly pizza in Lygon street although, I know a great Indian place in Lygon street.

Italy is ne of those countries where I have not seen anywhere else in the world thus far a greater ratio of police, army and security per capita. I know it’s a beautiful city and needs to be protected but fair dinkum…the United Nation should just keep the Italian army and get rid of all the other nations and that will solve any world problem.

I think Italy is definitely the land of beauty, the galleries, the churches, the shops and it was easy spotting the Italian women that were single…not a hair out of place. Favourite city Florence by a long shot you just can’t beat that Tuscan sunset…

Europe 2011

Finally, a very special thank you to my facebook and blog followers…Beth, best wishes for the birth of your next child and thankyou for picking me up and cheering me when I was in the dumps… Steve (40 ain’t bad body…it’s the new 30 and damn we might have had a few hiccups along the road but I am sure you wouldn’t have it any other way) still waiting for them drinks invite to see you in a new decade… Maddie and Kaz do it mate get there ASAP and just chill in Italy or wherever you want. Steph wow it took a mention of Cinque Terre to get me on a roller coaster trip but hey it was worth it and I am disappointed I didn’t make that restaurant maybe next time…perhaps we will find something comparable in Sydney and we will have lunch there. Rigot and Dane for the smart arse comment at Majorca’s airport well it was a happy coffee ;)

Samir, you keep talking about travel…but none organised…and hey it’s a 20 years high school anniversary who is organising the party? Yes we re getting old. And we should head on a track day in cars or bikes and see if we can hit the 300 km/h mark… The Vodafone crew who reminded me that there are some silent followers and I hope I didn’t spam you too much…and maybe even inspired some to travel. And the many more silent followers or the ones that I hadn’t mention.

Finally, my dedication and last words will always be to my greatest adventure that will last a lifetime, my three boys who I will forever strive to be their best dad, friend, travel companion a shoulder to lean on, an ear to listen to, and huge hug to keep them close…I forever and ever love you and I can’t wait to read your travel blogs.

Over and out.
H in Europe 2011

1 comment:

  1. I laughed I cried I got a mention, one of the most moving pieces of writing I've seen in awhile, much love for you Hany, you are always honest to the core and your boys will grow up to be honest good young men because of who you are xxxx Beth

    ReplyDelete