Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 25 12th May 2011

As stated earlier, the day started with a nice brekky then walked back retracing my steps from the night before and went to a couple of churches and Marco Paolo sq and walked around the shops…a few more photos of gondolas and although it was something I really wanted to do, decided its not something I wanted to do on my own…so I’ll pass for now.

I hung around til lunch but really just wanted o spend the last few days in Milan in one place so I decided to leave Venice and headed to Milan for the last of the Treks in the car (or so I thought).

The only thing worth mentioning in that leg of the trip was I saw my first Highway police patrol…lets say it was embarrassing…in fact there was a car that constantly was trying to over take it and I wanted a photo of that so I was giving chase behind the 2 cars doing 180 km/hr and couldn’t catch up with them…so much for the worry about the Italian police (don’t take that as an excuse to ignore the reputation of the Italian Highway patrols but this car was a fiat and not the Lamborghini I was assured they drive)

I could get my Internet access using Hutch USB HSDPA key (see 3 and Vodafone’s services in Europe are just as shit as they are at Home) so I used my mobile and my Hostel App to find a place but opted for the high end (well price wise anyway). I opted for Alessandro Hostel (which had no reviews-that’s a bad sign) and I think later on I figured why I opted for that out of the dozen places I found…it shared the same name as the Hostel in Roma which wasn’t too bad!
And that was the second mistake…so going on two ends of town I finally found this place…and just as I was about to enter Milan, I was almost tempted to drive up to Toulon in the south of France but that was another 400 kms and I still only have 300 euros and $1k AUD and no pin number for my firkin debit Visa (mental note don’t travel without a Credit card and a back up card…even when carrying sufficient catch. So I got to the Hotel Alessandro and thank fuk for Babel Fish to translate to the guy behind the counter…

How do I describe this place that I was intending to spend my last couple of days in, umm a shit hole and its only redeeming factor is they have broadband internet in the rooms…so I decided, stay put tonight and visit the sites tomorrow after staying in no less than four star for my last night in Italy… and with that started searching the web ad swore that I will read all reviews…

It came down to three hotels…the first was ranked number one on Trip finder sadly it was sold out…the second which was my favourite had very poor reviews so I decided not to and the third was ranked number 3 on trip finder, and the deluxe rooms were reasonably priced albeit a little out of town (5 tube stops from Duomo) and so it was the Crown Plaza.

Now I needed food and the pathetic place I was in which I might add felt like a prison cell with big iron gates and screen shutters on all windows (which was a little disconcerting to say the least) once I walked out of there it was not hard to understand why…I was in the ghettos of Milan and walking down the street trying to find a place to get food I had two sensations:
1. I needed to keep my fists at the level of my eyes
2. I was grateful I had typhoid and hep shots before I flew out…
Trust me its no exaggeration and the place wasn’t cheap either…

I quickly picked my Pizza and got back behind the iron gate fortress… bought two beers at the reception and went back to my room…Gladly I slept soundly that was until the dick head from night shift and his skanky gf decided to see how much noise they can make in the halls downstairs and test every fukn door…to the point where at 1:00 am I had to go downstairs to show them my bearded fukd off face to ensure they see that the are at least annoying me…it must’ve worked because there was only one more door slam after that and I am guessing that was them locking themselves and barracking themselves in a room. It pays sometimes having a rough head like I do ;-)


And so was my second last night and in the morning I couldn’t wait to leave. And if nothing else I got to update the blog and upload some more photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment