Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 20 7th May 2011

The day probably started much earlier but I will start it from the time I left the Hostel…The Portuguese/Lisbon airport was shambles and the only people I felt sorry for were the counter staff a s the schmucks that were on the airport floor could not organise a piss up in a brewery…word of warning if you are flying out of Lisbon allow at least 3 hours as two hours are never enough …oh and the automatic checking booth…is totally shite…

With that rant out of the way…It was interesting when I handed the car back to Hertz, they wanted to charge me for damage that was already there…thankfully, I pulled my trusty IPhone and showed them the picture from the airport at Barcelona, otherwise they would have charged me…in saying that I had to pay an extra 470 euros for dropping the car across the border… Mental note next time buy a car…its cheaper or better still use the trains and half the bag size.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1276&bih=621&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=rome&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

After last night in Lisbon I was renewed with hope for Hostels and decided to go again… as I landed in the airport at Rome…I was handed the keys to a car and it was not an Alfa as promised…it was a Lancia…and might I add a shit-box of a car…probably, karma and wouldn’t be a bad thing for me to drive a slower car…especially, all the stories I heard about Italian highway patrols…

I got to Hotel Alessandro and it was pretty good…I was initially by myself in the room then got a grouch then I was out with some new friends, Portuguese, Turkish and Mexican…yes, Roma is a multicultural society too…especially in Hostels, after dinner, I decided I will drive to some sites and see them by night…

Got to the colosseum (and never made it back again ☹) and then headed into town and walked around 3 hours seeing the sites…now that was an hour and a half seeing the sites…40 minutes getting back to where we parked the car and 45 minutes lost in a three block radius with two GPSs and about as many maps and thank fk that none of us were on board with Christopher Columbus or Captain Cook for that matter…we would have been lost and perished at sea long before sunrise or even the first day is over… we finally made it and as enjoyable as the sites were the stress of finding the car and the constant nag swore not to do this again…next time I am heading out on my own…

One mental note, this day proclaims the start of Pizza and Ice cream diet almost everyday from here on. Yes I am staking on the kilos in Italy…

No comments:

Post a Comment