Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 19 6th May 2011

Another day another adventure, and I don’t mean this lightly…

The day started about 5:00 am when one of the room boarders waltzed in with a bang…clearly he had a good night…but that was not the reason he gets a mention…about 40 minutes later…there was this choking shriek noise coming from our latest boarder that freaked the hell out of everyone in the room…Abrish almost jump off his top bunk and by then any hope of sleep was quickly dissipated.

True to form Janice and Mandy were ready by 7ish and we hit the road for what will be a 24 hours in Portugal (well for me anyway). I will come to regret the decision of not staying there longer.

Dropped the ladies off in Tevinia and headed towards Lisbon…I guess I didn’t realise how tired I was but about an hour into the trip I was nodding off at the wheel so decided on a stop over at the service centre and that was an hour’s nap… and that was the last bit of sleep I got in Portugal.

When I got in town first thing I realised is I must have been asleep as I got through the toll gates without collecting a ticket and that was a 40 euro fee…

I also hadn’t booked any accommodation and I don’t know why I picked up an Oasis brochure as we were leaving Seville…but that was the start of a huge chain reaction… I couldn’t make one end of town to the next so I typed the address from the brochure into the GPS…as I kept driving, I sensed perhaps Hostel stays are not for me…I was in a rough neighbourhood…the street the hostel was allegedly on was a one lane and when I got up there…what do you know there is no Hostel…and its one way up and have to reverse back…fairdinkum, I thought I would be ambushed reversing out it was like a scene from “City of God” but I think that was more the lack of sleep…and I started driving again towards the other street name… And viola I got to Oasis…after a bit of driving and walking.

This place was cheap, it was 20 euro for the night…I knew I wasn’t there long so didn’t bother unpacking and just took a small bag out of the car. I knew I was hardly going to need anything other than my camera… Boy was I right…

First person I met was Serena who was having lunch and looking at a map of the city…speaking of lunch…I only had coffees and red bulls so far that day...and Serena had a monstrous plate of pasta…I thought she cooked for everyone in the Hostel but no she just ate it all by herself… Incidentally, Serena has graduated with a molecular biology degree…so if she wanted to kill you and hide the evidence, she probably could…but thankfully, she is nice and not ready to kill anyone…even after partnering me in seeing Lisbon in 5 hours straight…

Sarena introduced me to Aussie Blake, man all I gotta say is it was good to hear that Aussie twang and seeing a happy face and someone who knows Lisbon…Blake my man you are a star, and I so wished when I was younger I lived to travel as you are…Keep flying the flag buddy and hope to catch ya for a beer in old Sydney Town…Blake gave me all the spots to see in about 5 minutes flat and had a good yarn as well…

Not before too long we were on our way out and Serena and I headed for the trams…In case you have missed it I love trams (I typed initially as “I have a tram fetish”…but I know some of the people that will read this the wrong way…dirty, dirty, dirty)

Lunch on the run buying, toast, salami and cheese at the super market while waiting for the tram…then it was Lisbon in 5 hours flat…then dinner and back to the hostel for what was the likely and unlikely mayhem…Who would have thought that a game of celebrity head could be so much fun…even without drinking…well ok clarify I was not drinking but was having a great old time…others were and they were also having a great old time…Why did I ever leave Lisbon?

Well, the night just got crazier as it progressed…by 1:00 am celebrity head was over and we were heading out to what looked like the party quarters of the Universe… what scared me the most with a 1000 people crammed In a few laneways and cops everywhere and damn street vendors and Blake’s reassurance and apology that this is a quite night…I so didn’t want to leave Lisbon… the humungous cocktails and I mean they were lethal and I didn’t even finish one as I had to drive in a few hours. Dana on the other hand thought she was going to drink all of us under the table…Let’s just say that didn’t happen… the night’s shenanigans took more twist and turns than a CSI investigation and Dana & I were separated from the group and by 5:00 am were back at the Hostel and decided against sleeping so I can get to the airport on time not to mention that Dana had passed out long ago.

I think this night was by far my craziest night and this beat the wedding (which included 10 hours of drinking solid) and last night in Majorca where we had lots of drinking and lots of people until 4:00 am…hard to believe but true…Those who were there will vouch for that… ☺

And all the roads lead to Rome!

No comments:

Post a Comment