Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 18 5th May 2011

After last night’s shenanigans and the BS from the bed saga…I was ready to leave pronto…so I got up about 6:00 and by seven decided I am going for a run because I felt I need one and come back, pack my bags and go to Portugal… The run did one thing (other than the benefits of going fast run on a 5 kms slog), it cleared my head to not be a princess and I came back and decided I might stay if I can get accommodation and if the girls wanted a lift to the next town, I’ll do that but we must leave really early as I am running out of time to see anything in Portugal not even Lisbon at this rate.

In hindsight, that was the best decision I had ever made on this trip… we had a “Hostel breakfast” basically eating on a napkin as you have to wash your own dishes and I made my own coffee and yeah, welcome to living a normal life during a holiday…secretly, I am starting to enjoy it a little…we went for the sight seeing tour of Seville…we knew what we wanted to see but I think this was also the beginning of me realising I have zero survival skills (without gadgets)…much on that later on…

We did the Cathedral and Alcatraz (or what I thought was Alcatraz) and had a great lunch and then dropped J off to have a rest as her allergies were really bad and she had been popping allergy tablets to help her get by.

I wanted to go and see the Macarena Cathedral and Mandy & Martin decided to join…when we got there we had realised that the wall was our very first stop. The church was another spectacular sight and we walked and took our photos and then decided to walk back to the car and get ready for the night outing where we will start with a Flamenco Show then dinner then we will see where this town really party before 10 pm???

As we were heading back, there was a hole in the wall o a pub that Mandy stood there for a minute mesmerised, there was dancing and singing coming out of it and she asked if we can go in…well, I know I don’t get asked twice to stop over for a drink so I went along and Martin joined us…

The net two or so hours will live with me forever, the place had all these ladies dressed in a their Flamenco’s finest, singing and dancing and just having a great time…it was like having our very own private Flamenco dance, they were very accommodating, and OMG the look on Mandy’s face alone was worth a million dollars. Her face lit up with excitement and the fact they allowed us to take photos was brilliant, one of the chaps had actually been to Australia the year before and the vibe was electric, hell it was 10000 volts…then they were telling us about Freia (not sure of the spelling) and Martin used his Spanish to actually get an address…When I asked I think Jorge what Freia is, he said coming to Saville and asking that is like him coming to Sydney and saying what is the Sydney Harbour bridge… Lesson learnt, I am culturally ignorant and will be doing allot more reading before my next planned travel.

Unfortunately, we had to leave them and rushed back to get changed and make our show reservation…Janice was there waiting and I had to check in for another night…but being on a high from the afternoon (well almost literally ☺ ) we got dressed and I decided to drive to the show as it was getting late and no cabs were out…I think it was another good decision.

We made the show albeit 5 minutes late and although I have seen a few in Sydney’s Liverpool street and another at Manly Wharf…sorry, but this show was nothing short of magnificent and OMG those dancers were awesome and the singers as well… Good choice Janice, definitely worth every dime we spent on this show and for anyone in Seville do it…

Now I was tired, and we didn’t know what to do, do we try to find this Freia or do we get dinner first or do we call it a night…Thankfully, Martin’s enthusiasm is infectious and we decided to see if we can follow his instructions of just go there and I mean he was pointing on a map on my iphone and we put that street name in the GPS… and we drove there…OMG I think Paris in Peak hour traffic had less cars…

http://www.google.com/search?q=Feria+Sevilla&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivnsm&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-SHOTeWuMIXs-gaZ5f3rCQ&ved=0CCQQsAQ&biw=1276&bih=621

Somehow again, we got parking and we had dinner and found out that Freia is larger than life…It was bloody massive party…I think bigger than any I have ever been to…think of Hyde park in the UK filled with people everywhere and then double that again…

I think I snapped about 500 shots and couldn’t have walked 10% of that place, after allot of walking we didn’t know if we should stop for a drink and it looked like the tents were all jam packed…we decided we would see if we can stopover somewhere for a drink and I asked someone at a relatively tamed tent if we can come in and buy a drink at the bar…the guy at the door said yes and just as we walked in Janice refused, and her claim, rightly r wrongly was that the person I asked has no right as this is a family cultural affair and she refused to get in… And that was the downer of the day so we headed to the car and drove back to the Hostel… Not sure if it was the tiredness of the long day, the allergies, my cultural ignorance to the Seville Tradition or what it was but it was tense to say the least and I just went quite as I tend to… so when Janice poked me again when we were walking back, we went off at and decided it…its ok, whatever if she had her k in a knot and I asked and her response was if I chose to not go should not p me off and god almighty reminded me of many arguments I have had in the past…so we decided to call it a night and get ready as I need to be in Portugal ASAP the next day.

Bam, Bam, Bamm and that was another dramatic end of another night in Seville…Oh well, Shit happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment